Nothing to do/watch tonight? Fear not because the second season of Outlander premiered April 9th, at 9/8c on STARZ.
If you haven’t seen Outlander you should definitely fix that right now. Full of passion, drama, gorgeous visuals, emotional storytelling, and compelling characters, the show is much more than the fantastical romance many simplify it to be. The cable show is based on Diana Gabaldon’s highly successful Outlander book series and began airing in August 2014. Based on the premise of a WWII army nurse’s traveling back in time to 18th century Scotland and her whirlwind romance with a Highland warrior fighting in the Jacobite risings, the show explores fantasy, history, psychological suspense, politics, and science fiction along with romance. Claire (Caitriona Balfe) and Jamie (Sam Heughan) fight to survive through the milieu of violence and be with each other despite all the forces tearing them apart.
It’s exceptionally entertaining in terms of storytelling and aesthetic and doesn’t shy away from any grisly, controversial topics despite it’s abundant beauty. And with all the trauma of the final two episodes of Season 1, fans are left to wonder, “What will happen to Claire and Jamie?”
Warning: The rest of this post contains spoilers for the first season.
Now that Jamie and Claire are safely in Paris and far away from the horrible Black Jack Randall, we think they’ll finally have a little bit of happiness, especially with a baby on the horizon. But no one gets over something so psychologically and physically damaging as the abuse Jamie suffered at the end of Season 1, so it’s highly understandable that he’s “lost his sparkle a little bit – he’s a bit of a shadow.” Nevertheless we’re still hoping for some emotional stability for these two lovers.
Ideally we can get a few questions answered in the Season 2 premiere tonight too.
- Where’s Frank Randall and what is he doing? He’s just been stuck in the future/present/past (it’s the 1940s so it’s kind of all three) this entire time wanting his wife to come back while everyone one else is trying not to get killed 200 years in the past.
- Will Claire and Jamie stop the Jacobite risings? Probably not since that wouldn’t be as interesting but who knows? (People who have read the books, don’t spoil!)
- Is Jamie okay? He has endured so much torment it wouldn’t be a surprise if he’s permanently traumatized.
- Is the Fraser marriage okay? “Paris is not a great place for their relationship,” Sam Heughan adds. “It’s a poisonous place.”
- Is Black Jack Randall dead? Last time we saw him he was getting a hearty helping of meat in the form of a cow stampede so he could be gone, but who knows?
Guess we’ll found out the answers (and probably have a lot more questions) after the season premiere. Fingers crossed for minimal deaths and torture!