On March 25th, 2015 the world was shocked to learn that one of the most popular boy bands, One Direction, was having a split! Zayn Malik decided to go solo and the group of five was suddenly four! Can you believe it’s been an entire year? Let’s rewind to this day last year and check out how we all reacted.
— One Direction (@OneDrecti0nFans) March 25, 2015
I'D GIVE MY LIFE UP TO BRING ZAYN BACK
— William Herondale. (@narryaf_ziamaf) March 25, 2015
ZAYN LEAVING THE BAND LITERALLY RIPPED A PART OF MY SOUL AWAY OF ME
— flor (@flopyvalle) March 25, 2015
EVERYONE AT COLLEGE WILL COME UP TO ME LIKE LOL ZAYN LEFT AND I WILL CRY RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM
— Sophie Foster (@Sophie_FosterXx) March 25, 2015
It’s safe to say that this time last year, the world wept for One Direction. However, let’s have a look at what all the boys have done within a year’s time.
One Direction (without Zayn):
- They finished their world tour! When Zayn left, the band was in the middle of a world tour. He left on March 25th and the tour’s last scheduled concert was October 31st, 2015. The other four trooped on without Zayn to complete many fans’ dreams of seeing them live in concert.
- They released an album! The band’s latest album, Made in the AM, was released on November 13, 2015. The album was the second fastest selling album of 2015, with their first week sales reaching 402,000. The album also peaked at number two in the U.S Billboard Charts! The album had great singles such as “Drag Me Down,” “Perfect,” and “Infinity.” That’s quite impressive for a band that had just suffered a break up.
- The band also announced that they’re going to take a break from music for a bit. The boys said that they want to take a break from touring and traveling the world and be able to write songs without feeling a whole lot of pressure. It’s unclear how long their hiatus will be, but we will all be graciously waiting for their return.
Solo Zayn Malik:
- Zayn released his first solo single on January 29th, 2016! To say that the single was a success, is an understatement! The single, “Pillow Talk,” debuted on the Billboard Chats at Number 1! That makes “Pillow Talk,” the 25th single EVER to debut on the Billboard Charts at Number 1, ranking with the likes of Adele’s “Hello.” In the U.S., it had first week sales of 267,000 and 22.3 million U.S. streams. The single was a smashing success and even got a remix with Lil Wayne.
- Zayn has also found time to date a supermodel. While there had been rumors of Zayn Malik and Gigi Hadid dating, the couple confirmed them on February 3rd, 2016. Dating while trying to be a successful artist is an accomplishment in itself…but dating the equally successful and gorgeous Gigi Hadid makes Zayn one of the luckiest men on the planet.
- Zayn also released an album. His first solo album, Mind of Mine, was released today, March 25th, 2016, on the anniversary of One Direction’s split! Mind of Mine has debuted as number 1 on iTunes Store Charts. If this feat and the success of “Pillow Talk,” are indicators for how well the album and the singles are going to do, we are all in for a summer full of listening to Zayn on the radio! Which is fine with me!
After a year of the band’s split, it is clear to see that the world is still spinning and One Direction and Zayn are doing well for themselves. Both have had very successful years and we all hope to hear much more from them both in the future!
What are your thoughts on their split a year later? Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter using #glamorouspaper.